Goals give you direction and give your life purpose. They help you to live the very best and most fulfilling life possible. But how do you decide what goals you want to chase after? How do you set goals that will bring you the most contentment? What is the process for setting goals? Following are a few tips on how to set goals that will help you attainable and fulfilling goals:
- Pick a goal you’re passionate about – Motivation to accomplish a goal is tightly tied to the passion you feel about said goal. Many people abandon goals because they don’t have their hearts in them. If you pick something that excites you or something that you love, you’ll be much more likely to continue to chase it, even when the going gets tough.
- Start small, but keep expanding things – You want to pick goals that are realistic and attainable. If you pick a goal that’s too big, you may get overwhelmed and give up. You also don’t want to keep your goals small or you may lose interest and quit trying. Always make sure you’re challenging yourself, but don’t overload yourself.
- Keep yourself accountable – Write down your goals. Remind yourself of them often. Make sure you monitor your progress. Not only will this keep you on the path to achieving your goal, but it will also excite you to see your progress. There’s ultimately only one person responsible for achieving your goals – you.
- Stay positive – Optimism is key to reaching your goals. You are going to fail at times. You will make mistakes. Staying positive will help you through the tough times. You’ll have an easier time rising when you fall, if you stay positive.
- Stop procrastinating – There’s no earthly reason to put off that which you can start to do today. Besides, the sooner you get started working on your goal, the sooner you’ll reach it.
- Don’t set your goals in stone – Life is not a static process, and many times you may have to modify your goals. If you’re chasing a goal that is proving too painful to reach, you may need to adjust what you’re chasing. You may decide in the midst of your pursuit of your dream, you may decide it’s the wrong goal for you to chase. Always be working toward your goal, but don’t be afraid to be flexible.
- Keep track of your progress – How else will you know how close you are to reaching your goals if you don’t know where you are in the process? Not only will you know what you need to do next, but you will also gain confidence from the steps that you complete.